About 30 years ago there was a bear stopping article in one of the gun mags. In it they compared the .44 Mag with 240g hardcast to larger rifle cartridges with expanding bullets. I can't remember what the rifles were, but I think one was the 30-06 with 180g bullets of what kind I don't recall. It could have been Sierra Game Kings for all I remember. The 44 easily out penetrated the rifles. Now we can say if the rifle had similar solid bullets they would out-penetrate the .44, but it is a rare person who is loading solids in a rifle for bear hunting/defense.

Having not ever shot a bear but thinking stopping one would be more difficult then just shooting it behind the shoulder, the .44 in this case with better penetration might be better. But then again how deep do you need. Also, we have heard over the years of bullets not penetrating from rifles. Again not knowing what bullet was used. Basically, is it the bullet or the cartridge?

About the same time a guide in MT killed a charging Grizzley with a 7mm Rem Mag. that had already mangled his client Bullet unknown.