Well the NY deer season is over. Can't believe it went so fast.

Carried my 7600 in .35 Whelen the first weekend. Saw several does but no bucks.

Second weekend switched to the 7600 .35 Remington carbine. Boy the carbine carries better. I can't believe that 4" off the barrel make that much of a difference.

Plus the carbine has the O/U scope mount and my thumb fits under the scope ahead of the front scope ring allowing my hand to wrap around the receiver. Easier to carry than a standard low mounted scope.

Shot a spike that weekend. 3pm deer came in silent. Saw he had horns but he was 100 yards off through the trees. All he gave me was top of his shoulder. Had a good rest against a tree so I let it rip.

He danced backwards of his rear legs and fell into a big pile of brush. Got up and ran but he was veering to the right so I knew he wasn't going far. Piled up against a tree dead as a door nail. His lungs were jello. Man that .35 Remington hits harder than the balistic table would lead you to believe.

Planned to use the .257 Roberts or 7mm-08 Remington this year but I was worried that something light might not work now that we have bears in our area.

Going to be hard to leave the .35 Remington home in the future. Hits like a hammer and carries well.

MIKE.