Hi like2shoot,

No i can't say that pump rifles are odds in France except near the german border where they are more german hunt minded". May be you don't know in the US that Remington keeps providing the french, greek and other southern Europe countries with 35Whelen pump and semi auto at a time they where not available in the US general catalog. They did the same thing for France with some Rem700 in 7-08.. We mostly practice driven hunt where game is pushed (flushed) by dogs. So we need rapid, precise (short range)and powerful rifles. The pumps are very fast, more reliable than semi auto (french hunters can be so-so on maintenance)and with the 35 Whelen or the 300Winch Mag (BrowningBPR)powerful enought to stop game. I must say that shot placement is the most important thing but on game running 35 to 40km/h it's often not so good so a powerful rifle with good bullets that give blood both side of target is a must. Minds are changing and more and more hunter's practice runnig boar target shooting and choose the bullets better. In the place we hunt we use also a lot of lever in 444,45-70(handloaded hot and heavy)and the new 450. I use a 45-70, 356 and next year my old 405 will come back to hunt with Hawk 300grs bullets.
Now hunting is over so go back to the loading bench and shooting range and try to follow your moto.
BR
Dominik

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)