I am a hunter and gun nut for 44 years.
I believe in hunting as a means of controling animal populations to prevent disease,starvation etc.
I firmy believe in the right to keep and bear arms.
I have killed many animals, small game and at least a couple of deer a year for those 44 years.
Used handguns,bows ,blackpowder etc.
I just wanted to say these things before I get to my main question so the people who dont know me wont think I am an anti gunner or hunter.

I am finding myself in a position that I love the outdoors,shooting ,and hunting BUT I am enjoying the killing of animals less and less.
Where I hunt there is no realistic danger of overpopulation of deer,
Although I like to eat deer meat I certainly would not dry up and blow away if I never eat it again.
I have always been humbled somewhat after taking an animals life(except for when I was a Kid )but I find myself more and more questioning myself why I kill for sport.
Every time I kill an animal(deer for example)I find myself thinking that this animal was alive and I took its life for what reason?
I gut, skin and cut up my own kills and do not waste any more meat than I have to, SO I am not killing JUST to be killing, But still find myself thinking that I am killing when I dont have to ,as in survival.
I just dont like the killing as much as I used to.
Nothing left to prove ,no wonder IF I can with homemade bows and arrows,reloads ,cast bullets etc.I KNOW I can .But wondering more and more if I should.

I know this all sounds like probably the wrong thing to say on a hunting, fishing forum BUT just wondering if there are any other hunters here who have experienced or are experiencing these types of thoughts when killing animals?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money