For me it's more the experience.
Hard to explain but I feel a need to get in touch with something from the past we've lost in our modernized world. I puts me in touch with nature and some long lost ancestral pursuit that was a necessity to survival. I enjoy the woodcraft, skills, camping, hiking, stalking, matching wits against an animal in his element...everything about the hunt. It's about THE HUNT. I don't NEED to hunt for the meat. I just NEED to hunt for the sake of hunting. The actual taking of life isn't something I like, but without it, all the rest doesn't make much sense. I feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment and appreciation for that which has been provided, and I feel a bit of sadness for the animal.

Even processing and packaging all the meat myself is part of the equation.
It's actually difficult to explain, and to a non-hunter, impossible. I imagine some of you understand what I'm having a difficult time putting into words.

In a nutshell, it's not about killing but without the killing it doesn't make sense.

See these guys in this picture? This is from a time that will never be again but for some reason I feel some kindred connectedness to in some manner be like them and hunting from time to time is the closest thing I can do to connect.
I know, crazy huh?
[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com