when i was about 8, i brought home a songbird i had shot with a bb gun. That lead to a azzwhupping by my father for killing something for no purpose, and a one year restriction on the bb gun. I have never been a sport hunter, just what they would call a meat hunter. And even that has gotten harder to do as i have gotten old. I will go again for elk this fall, mainly cause i like elk to eat, but it is not done easily or without respect for the elk. I have always said a little prayer over them, thanking the Gods or God for sending them my way, and they would be used properly. I understand it is part of the process, and ultimately a lot better than how that fast food hamburger is obtained.
Having said that, I am always reminded in these types of conversations of a Edward Albey quote, which i will somewhat paraphrase. He said a young man with out blood lust, probably isn't much of a man, but an older man that still has the blood lust isn't much of a man. I tend to agree with this. It's enough to go out and chase them anymore, I don't have to prove myself by killing anything.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO