bcraig;
Thanks for the thought provoking thread sir and thanks too for the thoughtful replies provided by so many here.

Like many of us here I started hunting at about 5 or 6 and will be 52 when this fall's season is upon me.

I've never considered meat hunting a sport - somehow when something is dying I've got a tough time reconciling it as "sport" if that makes any sense?

For me the hunt - and by extension - the kill - is very much what keeps me connected with the natural world. By doing so I can remain a participant in the ecosystem I love, not a mere observer that a non-predator must remain.

Somehow I need that grounding, that connection with my food which will sustain me and my family in order to help keep my focus where it needs to be.

As far as feeling joy in killing, well honestly I still do feel a thankfulness and satisfaction in knowing that I am still a participant - an active predator if you will.

When I stop feeling that, I do believe I'll quit hunting alright, but I hope and pray its many, many seasons down the road for me.

Thanks again for the thoughts tonight folks and Happy Easter to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"