Originally Posted by 65BR
For North American game excluding big bears.

Is there anything it does that a say 270 or similar, smaller caliber, lighter recoiling rifle will not do?

What say you?

A few years back, I started a thread, something along the lines of "Is the 30-06 too much gun for whitetails?"

HO LEE SHEET.

The storm that followed was impressive. First thing is, I was in NO way trolling. I started that thread after shooting a couple deer with the '06. One with a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, the other with a 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunter.

It seemed to me, after a sample of two, that the 30-06 was a damned fine Elk rifle. A tad of over kill for whitetails though.

Lots of folks took offense, and reported that the cartridge was ideal for the mythical 300 pounders up North.

Truth is, I never said it wouldn't work, just that I thought it was far more than necessary for a Whitetail.

Still feel that way.

All that being said, more power to the folks who want to shoot deer with cartridges more in line with Elk, Moose, Brown Bear and Cape Buff.

It is a good thing we live in America.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis