Originally Posted by SLM
I haven't seen one person say the /06 has to much recoil so they don't use it, or seen anybody say anything about bolt throw either.

Have used an /06 quit a bit and agree with many that my 308's recoil less and I have been unable to see a difference in the 2 on animals. So why put up with more recoil?

The last time 'I fired' an '06, it was pointed toward a moose this past January. I don't remember touching the trigger or feeling anything other than a mild 'pop' and then seeing moose legs flailing skyward. I'm thinking the moose either shot himself or the gun did. Recoil might become a factor if a person wanted to punch PDs with 180 grainers all day long, but it certainly doesn't qualify as heavy otherwise. And, depending on the maker of the rifle, there is some access advantage to the "06" length receiver opening when using a rifle in cold weather since some short actions can be more challenging to refill or maintain when temps are low. And moose hunting 'perfection' begins with the 30-06.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.