Originally Posted by mathman
Have you ever seen someone who "isn't bothered by the recoil" accidentally pull the trigger on an empty chamber?

Truth!! Most would not admit. Obviously to have nearly 11,000 views, this thread has some attention. Could it be many owners question if they could do as well with less punishment?

I like to shoot plenty at the range and improve my skills. Less recoil = more rounds able to be fired without the wear on me, or adversely affect my shot placement.

Not knocking the round or owners. Just a matter of "Do you Need" that much gun for your hunting. Some may. Many may not. Interesting the folks who have gone full circle and end up Effectively using a 223 or 243 for a bulk of hunting - and I do believe Deer are the most commonly hunted big game in NA.

If I simply wanted to Only fire a rifle to check zero and hunt, a 338 WM would certainly fix a fella up, IF the shooter can consistently place shots thru vitals. Some can. Likely more would pull the shot - at least more so than a lighter recoiling round.

As mentioned before the 06 is known for versatility but a master of none. Likely at the upper limit of recoil tolerance for many. No doubt an 06 will get the job done when steered properly.

I admit I hate recoil and If I never hunted anything larger than deer/hogs I would be happy with a 6BR or if not a hand loader a 243. Proven to me over and over. I do feel a 120-140 grain bullet properly constructed with good SD (or a mono that will expand at ranges hunted) is better mousetrap for Elk.

MY experience with 06 were wood and laminate stocks without recoil pad. No doubt a synthetic with a good pad would have reduced felt recoil. I still rather incur less recoil.

Good thread. Albeit yes some hilarious posts. Enjoyed the humor mixed in smile

Last edited by 65BR; 04/25/15.