I hated the 30-06 for the first 30 years of my life. It did nothing well - my 7 RM shot flatter, my 338 hit harder, my 45-70 was my hammer. In my 30's I started hunting more states and areas. I retained my bias and disdain for the 06 - till I started seeing it in action by the old grizzled guys that kept showing up with them. My grandfathers 06 has that blue-all-worn-off, white look. He probably only killed about 10,000 deer and bears with it over its 40+ year lifetime. My dad's used one for most of his adult life, my uncle - you get the picture.

I didn't own one till I was likely late 30's and it was a TC Encore pistol. I thought that about the right weapon for a 30-06. I killed deer with it with aplomb (a bullet really, plumbs are too soft in hunting season LOL). As I matured as a hunter - and tried out a bunch of different cartridges - I came to see the balance of killing power, tolerable recoil, and actual effect on game of a wide variety of calibers/cartridges/bullet combos. It was a hard day when I realized my Dad, uncles, and grandfather had it right all along. I still struggle with accepting the ole 06, mainly because it is vanilla ice cream.

I did come around to a 30-06 about 6-7 years ago when I was looking for a SS Ruger UL in 308. I couldn't find one but did find a smoking deal on a 30-06. I reasoned I could get 'full' 308 vels from my 20" barrel 30-06 UL using 150 to 180 grain bullets. I bought it and it has become one of my favorite guns, mostly due to the Ruger UL package. I did develop some 180 gr Horn IL loads for it and keep threatening to take it elk hunting. I get almost 2700 ft/sec from the 180's using H4350. The only thing keeping it home is my M70 300 WSM, my second favorite rifle. I'm thinking about the UL again because I'm doing a backpack hunt. A short 7.5 lb scoped 30-06 flinging 180's is dang handy. I'll likely use my go-to elk gun - M70 300 WSM.

In the end, I don't see how a 30-06 is ever a wrong choice in NA except for the large carnivores. Phil S says its enough and I believe him. I'd likely drag my 35 whelen along for the ride if after big bitey things. A 250 Partition has a way of settling things down.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.