I have shot more game from 5 continents with a .270 Winchester using mainly 130 grain bullets a few 140's and a handful of 150s.
These animals generally weigh between 30 and 700 pounds. Sometimes you use what you have in your hand regardless of preferences. That said; IF I was limited to just one rifle for hunting I'd go with a middle weight .30-06, scoped with mid-range variable, a variety of factory loads in several weights and never worry about too much gun or too little. I am not so limited and I prefer to hand load so while I believe in the "all-around" capabilities of the .30-06 I don't use mine as much as I could because I have other choices.
A well constructed premium .270 bullet will often suffice but the edge for me has to go to the '06 simply because within normal hunting distances I can tackle a pronghorn, a deer, a coyote or a big bull elk or moose on a single hunt and I know I can break big bones if the need arises. Better a tad bigger than I need seems to have worked well for me rather than wish I had more gun to take the shot. m2cts

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**