Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by bcraig
You tried to make a point that the Chambering(30-06)kicked less with the lighter bullets then when I mentioned that they were not very efficient you now want to mix words and not talk about them.
When talking about the chambering and op question the bullets are part of the equation.
Thats some funny chit !

You're not very bright, are you. I did not "try to make a point" about anything, other than answering the question by making the observation that the '06 can handle a wider range of bullet weights than lesser cartridges. You can see that for yourself if you actually read what I wrote (quoted below). The reason I mentioned lighter recoil was not to make a point, it was because he specifically referenced "lighter recoiling rifles" in his question.

In answering the OP's question, which was "Is there anything it does that a say 270 or similar, smaller caliber, lighter recoiling rifle will not do?" , I said this:

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by 65BR
For North American game excluding big bears.

Is there anything it does that a say 270 or similar, smaller caliber, lighter recoiling rifle will not do?

What say you?

If you reload, it can handle a wider range of bullets, from 110-220 grains. Loading 110s or 125s makes recoil a non-issue.

Are you saying I'm wrong about that?

smokespoles,
The statement that lighter bullets makes recoil a non issue is true HOWEVER the OP was obviously talking about BIG game and the use of 110 and 125 grain bullets out of a 30-06 are not the best for hunting.

Originally Posted By bcraig
True that loading the lighter weight bullets Cuts down on recoil

But it also cuts down on performance as Ballistic coeficient and
Sectional density go way down .

Then you post this .

That's where the versatility of having many different bullets to choose from comes in.

Besides light bullets, you can shoot heavies. Remember, the subject is the chambering, not the bullet.

I realize the chambering is what the discusson is about !
My point was that although lighter bullets do indeed cut down on recoil the OP is talking about for big game and most arent going to be shooting a 30-06 with 110 or 125 grain bullets just to cut down on recoil.

And as far as brightness goes ,well the OP didn,t ask about the versatality of using a 30-06 with lighter bullets .
You may or may not be that bright but certainly your reading and comprehension skills are a brick shy of a full load .

Last edited by bcraig; 04/26/15.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money