Originally Posted by 65BR
Good stuff. Mackey - don't you shoot a Springfield short?

To the point on longevity n history, it is not by chance the 06 has downed so much game, yet part of the fact surely is a matter of how many of them are used afield.

My use was mostly w a Ruger laminate w hard pad. As well as a buddy's FN w same. Both using top loads in 165gr.

Yes various loads are had in light bullets for loaders and reduced factory. Yet I pose the question for factory ammo. Having driven a .277 150 PT neck to ham on a Mulie I cannot imagine it not busting bone. I also ran ballistic tips often in 150. I know the 140 fail safe loads were said to also dump elk readily.

Thank for sharing your experience.

65BR,

It appears that the whole point of this thread was to reassure yourself that your personal choice of the 270 cartridge is a better choice as an all-around cartridge because the 30-06 is just a little bit too much of a good thing, and the hard pads on those two 30-06 rifles hurt you a little too much.

Well, rest assured, the 270 is a fine all-around cartridge and you can be happy with it for the rest of your days. The 270, as well as several other cartridges can do a thing or two slightly better than the 30-06, and in a dozen other areas your 270 will do almost as well as the 30-06.

The animals won't be able to tell the difference, and if you put a good pad on a 30-06 with a stock that fits well, you won't be able to tell the difference, either.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra