Originally Posted by jwall

I still maintain the 06 is TOO GOOD to be without!

For 20+ years I had my 7mm RM and didn't feel a need for anything else. Now, 33 years after getting that 7mm RM I still don't.

That said, in the last 13 years I've acquired a few other big game rifles, from a .257 Roberts to a .45-70, and appreciate what they can do. At the moment there are four .30-06 rifles in my safe. Three are mine, one is mine for now but will be a wedding gift for a new son-in-law later this year.

When Daughter #1 decided she needed her own rifle for her first elk hunt, coming up in November, she wanted a .308 and had my full support.

Will her .308 Win do anything a .30-06 can't do just as well? Nope. The only advantage is a slight difference in the rifle's length (3/4") and weight (8 ounces) when compared to the same rifle in .30-06. Regardless of which bullet I end up loading for her, the load will probably be a middling load to keep recoil down, but nothing that couldn't be done with a .30-06.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.