Originally Posted by 65BR
For North American game excluding big bears.

Is there anything it does that a say 270 or similar, smaller caliber, lighter recoiling rifle will not do?

What say you?

I think the difference in most if not all of the cartridges created to mimic 30-06 performance is minimal and mostly all in our heads based on what we read or have been told over our lifetimes.....in other words, a bunch of bs. What one will do another will do. They are all deadly as hell if their bullets are put into vital spots. So I agree with going where your post wants to lead me.

My only thing is that I have never gotten the idea that a .308 or .270 is a pussy cat to shoot and a 30-06 is a monster. Load a 150 in all of them and I can't tell the difference. Actual recoil in all of them is negligible to me.....it is the muzzle blast that gets me flinchy if I don't concentrate and they are all plenty loud. Point being if you are getting beaten down by a 30-06, you might be disappointed if you get a .270, .280, .308 win or anything else that shoots a similar weight bullet at a similar speed in an effort to escape recoil. It may be the noise (even wearing ear muffs) that bugs you or maybe not shooting enough. That said, I realize recoil is subjective and people react to it differently and there are people who evidently see a great difference.

Worst thing I ever shot was a 12 gauge shotgun with a 3 and a half turkey load. That SOB hurt and left a mark....nothing subjective about it! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn