Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Just a few thoughts on .30-06, light bullets and efficiency....

It is true that light bullets reduce recoil. It is also true that they have lower sectional density and ballistic coefficients. All of which is meaningless unless given some decisional parameters.

Frankly, the idea of a .22 Accelerator load in a .30-06 has always intrigued me. For light varminting of just plain fun, what is wrong with a 55g V-MAX cranking along at 4200fps MV? In a standard weight .30-06 that is about 11.5 ft-lbs recoil and MPBR zeroed for a 6" diameter target, the bullet is down only about 5.5" at 400 yards. At 300 yards retained velocity and energy are in the neighborhood of 2942fps and 1057fpe. Compare that to 150g Winchester .30-30 ammo that runs closer to 1400fps and 651fpe at that range. Granted that accuracy may suffer, accelerators still sound like a lot of fun. Great elk load? Probably not, but who cares?

Don't like Accelerators? How about a 110g Hornady V-MAX or Barnes TAC-TX at 3400fps? Should be good for up to deer-sized game to about 400 yards where a 6" MPBR results in a drop of about 12" with retention in the neighborhood of 2175fps and 1150fpe. And with recoil under 15 ft-lbs. Sounds to me like a good pair of loads with lots of practical uses, including light varminting, antelope and deer.

Hunting elk? Bump it up to a 130g or 150g TTSX at 3200fps and 3000fps respectively. Feeling undergunned? Why, when you're basically talking the same velocity and energy at 400 yards as a .30-30 delivers at 50?

Low efficiency? As defined by and compared to what, exactly - and even then, who cares? The last thing I worry about when buying factory ammo is "efficiency". As a handloader, I judge a load by its accuracy more than anything else. An increase in "efficiency" might mean more loads per pound of powder but that is only important to me when I'm building plinking loads - and lots of them. For example, 13.5g HS-6 under a 300g or 350g hardcast bullet makes for a fine and inexpensive .45-70 plinking load. "Efficiency" matters not at all for my hunting loads.

Who cares?
Well the Op does, I suppose that is why he asked the question.
I dont really think the OP was talking about Varminting when he mentioned Nort American Game .
And the effeciency I speak is not neccasarily getting the most rounds per pound .
As far as big game goes anything in the lighter weighs in the 06 does can be accomplished using the 270 with lighter bullets.
Apples to apples of course for comparisons.
And not apples to oranges.
Efficiency may not concern you , and I personally see where you are coming from however considering the op question
I contend that effeciency plays a huge part in answering the question.

65BR Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: NW Louisiana
For North American game excluding big bears.

Is there anything it does that a say 270 or similar, smaller caliber, lighter recoiling rifle will not do?

What say you?

I say as much as I like the 30-06 there are smaller less recoiling calibers that will do the job.
Which is by any rational exactly what the op asked.
I like the 06 and as I have said have killed more deer with the cartridge than any others BUT I just like the 270 Better !
Less recoil,less wind drift etc.
And still does the job an 06 will do on the game mentioned.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money