Originally Posted by bobnob17
In the interests of helping this thread wander a bit...

I've found at times that the concept of using premiums (Partitions for example) to compensate for less than ideal shot angles can be a wobbly one.

Quite often taking a shot at a big pig, with a 3/4 quartering away shot or similar with a NPT or Accubond, I've regretted it. Usually I've thought later I'd have been just as well off with a NBT or Interlock, and far better off waiting for a side or front-on shot.

(Not a GW; just a hick from the sticks.)

I'm a hick from the states..... smile bobnob not directed at you. Just using the opportunity to rant... grin

There has to be at least a psychological difference between an African or Australian cull hunt where game is so abundant that it needs to be "culled" in the first place...and a hunt where a selective hunter is restricted by law or conscious or pocket book to take a single representative specimen he may have hunted a while for, and also waited several years for the opportunity...possibly in a lifetime he may get to do it once.

This is hard for some folks from Cull Country to grasp when it comes to shot selection. Personally I never considered premium bullets to be instruments utilized in case something went "wrong",since bad shot are simply that....bad shots regardless of bullets .

And I never understood the attitude some have that reliable expansion and some extra penetration ( the REAL advantages of premium bullets regardless how it's accomplished) is some how a "bad" thing and anyone using them is a reckless nut. This is twisted logic.

So, I never regarded a mildly angling shot (coming or going) as the least bit risky with a bullet suited to the task.

I guess some Sierra's are capable of this, while some are not and therein lies the difficulty in choosing...which is why after using some and watching others perform, I shoot the hell out of them on paper and varmints but leave them home on BG hunts.That they do not make a premium is of no concern to me. I like them anyway for certain things.

I will leave the experiments and frugality to the cull hunters. We aren't playing the same game...at all.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/21/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.