I have never understood these "deer bullet" arguments. Deer are not hard to kill, and get taken every year by such a wide variety of guns, calibers, bullets, etc. that there is more than enough proof of effectiveness by the vast majority. The loose nut behind the trigger seems to be the biggest variable.

My deer hunting gun is whatever's handy when it's time to punch a tag. Literally. From .223 to .338 it doesn't seem to make much difference.

The one bullet I used that turned me away from them was a Speer HC 150gr out a my .30-06. The bullet fell apart shooting a buck at the base of the skull. It worked, but I wasn't impressed at all. I've successfully used 165 - 200gr. from them, but haven't a single one in 150gr .308" since. There are so many other good bullets I've never had a reason to go back. I never shot a Speer HC at bones, and when they were gone I never bought any more.

I have used Sierras in different weights & caliber and have not had an issue. I even used 140gr GK out of a 7mm Rem Mag and got full penetration on a Mule Deer twice. It was slightly quartering away, first looked like a good hit, but it turned and started down toward a draw. I hit him again. Upon recovery there were two holes through the chest within three inches of each other. The insides were like soup. Was this a failure?

If you don't want to damage meat, shoot the ribs with a slower bullet.

Last edited by BigNate; 06/23/16.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson