2 comments

I have shot a LOT of hornady at matches. And a lot of Sierra. Not to mention a lot of others, like berger and JLKs

The only hornady I ever shot that held a tight race to sierras was the 75 amax. And even then they had a couple of bad lots of them where I had to trade in 5-10,000 bullets a few times for new runs.

Sierra, I have seen a sierra fail to kill a deer. Shot through both lungs. 165 game king, out of 30-06.

Piece of lung on the ground. Deer was killed running a doe 3 weeks later with scars in both lungs.

I think that may have been a bit more of the deers desire to live, but a 30 cal hole in a rib going on and same going out, would indicate very little expansion.

While my 7mm experiences with the 160 game king in a 7x300 wtyb have never failed to kill, at the same distances, around 80 to about 175ish yards, I've seen about every example of expansion imagineable from that bullet. Quit using it after 2 years of hunting with it. You could head shoot a doe and about take the head off one time, then next have a 7mm entry hole in the head and about a dime or so exit...

Even had a small pig, about 50 pounds trotting off around 150-175 yards take one to the back of the neck, trying for the head, and the bullet blew up on the spine trying to get into the skull which it never did.

Its a reason I"m so much an all around Barnes shooter generally speaking.

The most consistently performing cup and cores that I"ve shot have been partitions and bergers.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....