I always considered a 9.3, a mid-bore on the '06 like the 338 OKH....

As to a MK/PT combo, what about the LRAB? No PT but results might be often be similar.

As to tip size, I recall a local hunter who used 220s on deer, he opened them up well with a drill bit, and said it was unreal deadly and destructive.

On that '06 200 mention, I can say Finn Aaggard did a test, and IIRC, the 200PT '06 rivaled the 210 PT in the 338/06.

That said, a mid-bore does all else equal have a larger wound channel, yet is it necessary.......

All this talk on 338 bullets, I can say I shot 215s, 225 speer and Hornday's at 200 yds....the 215's blew up in the dirt, the 225 Hornady's were classic Fat Mushroom, intact.

Personally, I settled on 2 bullets. 200 NBT for deer at 2910 mv and the 225 PT at 2670 for an Elk load. The 200gr shot 1/2moa, the PT, .6 MOA.

To stereotype say a Sierra brand bullet w/a broad brush stroke, is illogical. Specific bullets vary, some are tougher like the 250 .338, as Rich will tell you - they are made for large game. I would not expect it to perform like a PT in media test, not like a Barnes 225 or 230 FS.

I was flat impressed how the 85 BTHP GK works on deer in a 243. Heard rave reviews before and since on that bullet on deer. I would not try busting shoulders with it like I have with the 95 NBT but lung shots and neck shots, it's deadly.

Often times folks complain about "Bullet Failure" after recovering an animal in a short distance. No blood trail. No exit. Yada Yada. Dead is dead. If you want a blood trail, shoot a PT or mono, they are designed to do that.

I believe many cartridges can be well served by a hunter, when a given bullet is chosen based on it's design/performance parameters - for the type of hunting that is going to take place. The specific game, terrain/distance, etc.

Application matters. If one knows what they are trying to accomplish and wants advice, a quick toll-free call to Sierra will help. I have spent at least a few hours over many years talking to Rich, and a few others. They are happy to have you pick their brain, and are great folks to talk to, IME.