Originally Posted by BobinNH
prm: Lots of matches are won every year with Sierra bullets. The wow factor has a funny habit of not lasting as long a lot of times.

Think about it....we see posts here every day about guys fiddling with this or that bullet,fiddling with seating depths, etc etc. trying to get bullets to shoot.

You rarely if ever see that stuff or hear many complaints about Sierras. If I want to know if a rifle shoots well, they are among the very first thing loaded.

Completely agree. I too think the .308 175 SMK is a go-to bullet and what Sierra makes, they typically make well (except for the 215 GK!). But in the same rifles, I have to fiddle with them no differently that with other bullets. However, for a business to say things such as "no, we don't intend to offer an enhanced construction bullet" or "It makes absolutely no sense to use a rifle capable of clean kills at 600 yards to harvest animals at 75 to 150 yards" or "to expect a bullet to perform well at 100 yards and the accompanying high impact velocity then ask that same bullet to exactly duplicate that performance at 600 yards and the drastically reduced impact velocities is asking way too much" strikes me as a very odd. So I take it they are not even trying to create new solutions to hunting near and far, they are not going to ever offer a mono solution to lead restrictions, they are not going to offer confidence inspiring solutions to hunting tougher game or using faster cartridges at shorter ranges (sometimes elk show up closer than you planned)? I'd rather a company work to find better alternatives. Sure Sierra can sell bullets, lots of them, to the govt, and there will be a market for target shooting with their SMKs. But my guess is others are eating into the target shooting market. For example, I recently picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor and when I got to researching bullets, hunting and target, Sierra didn't have what I felt was a better solution for either, and I seriously considered them. They make good target bullets no doubt (142 SMK), but there are now others. Turns out Hornady ELD-Ms shoot incredibly well. All I'm saying is that good companies are always trying to build a better mousetrap, something you never considered before, and their statement says they are not interested in evolving. Someday a company will develop new construction techniques or use new materials that improve consistency, lower costs, or improve performance on game near and far, to create bullets that fly like ELDs, penetrate like TTSXs and kill like Partitions or Bergers, and better. Sierra's statement tells me it won't be them. It's just that statement of theirs I have an issue with. Hopefully I'm making too much of it, taking out of context, or whatever.