Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by GregW
I would also say the only weakness would be for a longish shot relative to other proven bullets, especially in the wind.

Some of you guys that don't hunt much out west, especially those who don't get to hunt mule deer and especially coues deer much just don't understand the shots sometimes you are forced to take (or pass) that have nothing to do with hunter skill but with terrain, cover, and the critter involved.

The choice to shoot or not and the risk factor involved is determined by the wind and the distance and the individual rifleman. Having less wind drift and a flatter trajectory reduces shot risk and increases the kill range which increases shot opportunities hunting wide open spaces. This is just a fact.

I have shot quite a few things with a Partition. It's a great bullet that will do all that 99% of us could ever need.

But for the reasons above, I shoot different bullets for where and how I hunt.

The point was the above stated "526 yard shot" which the poster that made the comment feels is a limiter for a Partition in wind. I just frankly disagree with that. At that range, comparing an equal weight/speed ballistic tip to a partition, the difference in drift between the two will be around 4 inches. If you can't compensate for that you shouldn't be shooting at that distance, because regardless both are going to be way off target in, say, a 10 mph cross wind.

I've shot plenty at range in wind, and inside of 550 yards (which is pretty much absolute max I'd shoot at an animal) the ability to adjust a few extra inches isn't a deal killer.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot an animal in a 10 mph cross wind at 526 yards anyway. Farthest I've shot a critter was a bedded antelope at 548 yards, ironically, with a 180 Partition. There was no way to get closer, and the wind was blowing directly at me. I had plenty of time, knew the rifle, and could get a solid "nest." One shot kill. But it's generally possible to get closer. Much closer, which to me is what hunting is all about. But that's a separate discussion...

The thread is about the inadequacies of the Partition. I mentioned an inadequacy which for most of hunters including you Brad it's obviously not an issue.

We are not discussing how or where people hunt or how far they feel comfortable shooting or the magic line between where hunting turns to shooting. All these things vary.

All bullets have weaknesses and all are a give or take, just like every one of our gear choices that we each personally make.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.