Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
My primary complaints with the Partition are excessive meat damage compared to a TTSX, higher recovery rate, and higher cost.

They kill fine generally, but too often they make just one hole. The only monos I have seen recovered were very light and shot into a lot of very large bone.

I have never seen an AB exit.

And I've had just the opposite results. As I write this, I'm looking at the only Partition I've ever recovered out of a couple dozen. It was a 35 caliber 250 grain and it went lengthwise of a caribou, front to back, stopping under the hide in the right hip. Similarly the only X or TSX bullet I ever recovered was from an elk shot lengthwise. However the X and TSX bullets have all produced way more meat damage and bloodshot than the Partitions. I haven't used as many, eight to be exact, in a 7x57, 308, 300 H&H, and 400 Whelen but everyone has produced substantial bloodshot and meat damage. I've never tried the TTSX but would expect similar results.

With the exception of the one noted, the Partitions have left good exit wounds, just like the X and TSX but with far less meat damage, in my experience.

Several of us, talking outside here, wonder how it is so many have such decidedly different results and I think it might be interesting to look at the variables that make it happen.

I have shot boxes of Barnes in the various iterations at critters and have never personally recovered one. I use them in .22 to .375 and run them light for caliber...

I have over 50 recovered Partitions from animals I have shot with mostly the same cartridges as monos. I see a huge difference. Because I see a big difference in how soon big animals die when shot with something that leaves two vents I want both.

As to meat damage differences I am lost on that... Ray Charles would see the difference! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.