Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Some people that live in wide open spaces where there is a lot of wind get hung up on having the highest possible b.c. to the point where it becomes ridiculous....

People who shoot long distances in wind wanting high BCs is no more ridiculous than people who think they need a "premium" bullet to kill a deer.

Tell me of one person that thinks premium bullets are "needed" to kill deer.

I use premiums on deer -- and antelope -- but not because I think they are "needed".

The reason I do so is because I load my rifles for elk and use them for other game as well. Deer get hunted in the same season as elk so using a single bullet type makes perfect sense. Antelope get hunted 2-4 weeks earlier and I see no need to work up special loads for them. Using one bullet type makes life simpler and the cost delta is so small as to be unimportant in the extreme.

I have yet to see where a premium bullet fails on deer or antelope or where other bullet types kill them any quicker. What I have seen is fragile bullets like the A-MAX needlessly destroy a lot of meat where the premiums I use minimize meat loss.

The cost delta for using one bullet for all is minimal and may be less than the cost of working up and inventorying separate, additional loads. When compared to the total cost of my hunts the cost delta for using premiums is a fraction of 1% - not something I'm going to worry about.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/26/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.