Originally Posted by 1minute
I have had two instances where Nosler Combined Technology slugs (partitions) hit a rib going in on elk and never touched the far side of the body cavity. Both were 30 caliber 180 grainers starting out at about 3,400+ ft per sec from a Weatherby 30-378. I think that's just a bit too fast for that construction. Both bulls died within a few feet shortly there after, so I can't say they were inadequate.

Three years ago a youngster with a 270 and 150gr NPt shot a cow broadside in the armpit at about 50 yds. Bullet passed clear through and the cow folded immediately without taking a step.

Two days later I shot a trotting cow in the armpit slightly quartering away at 30 yds with a 270 and 150 NPt--twice. Neither bullet exited but she died within 30 yds of the first shot. I found both bullets against the off side hide. I handloaded for both rifles and the bullets were from the same bag.

One can't always predict the performance of the bullet or the reaction of the critter.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.