Originally Posted by Stickbow
Not everything is attached to a detonator. Not every war zone is in Afghanistan. Nor requires a military ranking.

Think outside the bubble, It doesn't have to be Afghanistan, domestic terrorists can also have wired vests and grenades,
so anyone required to directly deal with such many well face the prospect that pelvic shots will end in delay and disaster.
Whats appropriate for your level & line of work doesn't necessarily apply to the requirements of other more demanding tasks.

added:
However, in regard to hunting, I surely would put an appropriately capable bullet in the hips of injured game thats fleeing,
(if that was the best avail. shot option) simply in order to try and anchor the beast to prevent a tracking job and to reduce
any extended suffering to the animal.

Ive had heated debate with folks that though there was something wrong with busting a wounded buffalo or lions hips that
might be escaping to hide in long grass. For the life of me I can't understand why someone would just stand there and watch
them make it to cover if they have a cartridge capable of stopping them and when a potential headache was preventable.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.