Hello all, I have been reading this thread and have found it highly entertaining. I know that it is an old thread... seven years old, but I do have some of the answers that you were asking about.

Between 2007 and 2011 a team of Italian researchers published a series of papers in highly respected publications concerning their research on the effects of direct current (DC) on snake venom. They found that the Metalloproteinaise enzymes in the venom were torn apart at the metallic bonds due to the action of the direct current. These bonds seem to be destroyed before protein of normal tissue are negatively effected by the electricity.

The research papers are:

Inactivation of Phospholipase A2 and Metalloproteinase from Crotalus atrox Venom by Direct Current--J BIOCHEM MOLECULAR TOXICOLOGY Volume 21, Number 1, 2007

Structural Modification of Proteins by Direct Electric Current from Low Voltage - J BIOCHEM MOLECULAR TOXICOLOGY Volume 23, Number 5, 2009

Inhibition of Hemorragic Snake Venom Components: Old and New Approaches --Toxins 2010, 2, 417-427; doi:10.3390/toxins2040417

Accelerated removal of deamidated proteins and endogenous electric fields: possible implications --Gen. Physiol. Biophys. (2010), 29, 302–308

Inactivation of Crotalus atrox Venom Hemorrhagic Activity by Direct Current Exposure Using Hens’ Egg Assay--J BIOCHEM MOLECULAR TOXICOLOGY Volume 25, Number 6, 2011

For those of you who are scientifically minded, I suggest that you access the papers, or at least read the abstracts available on the web. They are interesting reading.

These researchers were able to prove very precisely and credibly that it does work. So the question is why did some of the other "Studies" not show positive results? Several of the studies used mice, rats and other small animals which are natural prey for snakes and it was shown to be impossible to get a localised action of the venom in these test subjects. Once the venom was injected, the animals began to be digested and die. It is interesting to note that Ron Guderian did some work at his alma mater around the same time as the other studies, but he shocked the venom first and then injected it into the mice. The mice all survived, showing that the venom had been deactivated.

One other issue was that some of the studies used high powered stun guns, some of which were tasers. Some of the higher powered stun guns produce both DC and AC, which does not have the same action on the venom as DC. Also it seems that higher powered stun guns (above 80Kv) don't work at neutralizing the venom like the lower voltage devices. We are not sure yet why this is, and more research could be done to investigate this. The Italian studies used 12 volts DC with success. The high voltage just assists in penetrating deep into the tissues to tear apart the venom.

There is a vet in Colorado who heard from a local farmer that using a cattle prod was successful against rattler bites on their dogs and cows. He started to use a TASER and a high powered stun gun, but found that he didn't have success. The customer suggested that he use a "Hot Shot" cattle prod instead, and immediately he started seeing the same results on his animals.

I have been talking with people who have used this treatment for years and collecting accounts when I could. The things that I and others have found to work are, low powered stun guns below 75Kv, cattle prods, electric fences, ignition systems from small gasoline engines, some car ignition systems (can be dangerous voltages), TENS units and surprisingly even tractor and car batteries with some people. Things that don't work are high powered stun guns, TASERS etc.

A friend of mine, Ron Guderian, who was one of the missionary doctors who pioneered this treatment started up a government endorsed treatment program in the hospital Vosandes in Quito Equador in 1982 where close to 600 were treated in a 10 year period (none were dry bites, all had pain and swelling). This treatment program showed that mortality went down to zero with people treated with electric shock, and morbidity was almost eliminated. They did comparisons with those who refused any treatment and those who only received antivenin. It was clear that the shocking of the bites had a drastic effect on the recovery time and the final outcome of the patient. The program is still continuing.

This treatment is now supported in Italy with medical claims by manufacturers of devices.

It has been found by doctors since the 80s that this method works for stings of wasps and bees, it stops the necrosis of brown recluse spiders and other necrotic spiders (TENS units work really well for this) and scorpion stings. There have been anecdotal evidence of it working on many other things even on jelly fish stings, infected dog bites, and some neurotoxins from plants. There is lots of room for further research and testing in this area and there is still lots that we don't know, but we do know enough to say that when you get bitten by a snake or spider, giving it a good shock with a cattle prod can help greatly and won't do any damage.

It is important that if you use a small engine ignition system, that you use a ground contact so that the shock can travel deep into the tissue and actually flow not just give a light zap, otherwise the shock will not be as effective.

Hope that helps to answer your questions and perhaps even saves a life one day.

Cheers from OZ,
Tim.