One of the fellas I went to school with in RSA is a Doctor that owns a large concession bordering the park.

We had a lot of conversation about snake bites in School and for the years after I hunted with him on his property.

He had seen a single Mamba bite in about 20 years of practice, but sees 100 Puff adder bites a year. I have seen Mambas exit the area as fast as they can move nearly every time I have seen them. I've never seen a single one come for a person unprovoked. Of Course the definition of "provoked" is determined by the mamba not the person.

I've had puff adders bounce off the toe of my boot several times and they will strike a stick in a heartbeat when teased. They are also out during colder weather far more then the cobra's and Mamba's. Of all the Mamba's I have seen in my life the most were in termite mounds. It has gotten to the point that I will always look into the holes when I walk by them just to see if there is one visible. Two years ago my PH Henk Viljoen shot two in a termite mound hole with a single 375HH bullet. They were curled up together in a ball in that hole.

Outside of the ones in the holes, I have seen equal amounts on the ground and in trees. They are quite frequently in the branches of trees sunning in the winter. I think it gives them some peace and quiet from getting trampled by hoofed game?

Far and away the most common snake you will see in winter is the Rock Python. They must have a lot of fat! I have seen them out in a big coil along the road during very cold mornings. Personally these are the most entertaining and fun snakes I have ever known. They can be huge and are not as fast so they can be approached and photographed by hunters.

They have no venom, but they have a very dangerous bite with the infectious qualities in their gums. They are also beautiful and with amazing power. Even a smaller 2 meter python will put a squeeze on your arms that will really get your attention. once you feel that, you can only imagine what a 200 pound 5 meter python will do to you or whatever it wraps around!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)