Botswana, April 1990.
Our long dreamed of first safari. My Dad and I hunting 2 x 1, with my wife along as observer.
The wife has a morbid fear of snakes, so the booking agent assured her it would be winter and we wouldn't see a single snake.
On arrival in Kasane, the head of safari co assures her it's winter and we wouldn't see a single snake.
Next day meet the PH and he assures her it's winter and we won't see a single snake.

Late afternoon about the 5th day, and we're in our usual riding positions: Ronnie driving with Dad next to him in the cab, me in the middle of the bench seat behind the cab with trackers Malebung and Junior on either side, and the wife behind us on the spare tire. Did I mention she's a keeper?
We;re on a well worn piece of road doing about 30 when I catch a glimpse of what looks like the slate grey head of a snake whiz past less than a foot from the side of the truck at OUR EYE LEVEL!
Before I can say, "Was that a snake?" There's an explosion of Tswana on both sides of me. Ronnie jams on the brakes, a quick and highly agitated discussion ensues, the wife asks me what's going on, and we back up to get a good look. We catch a glimpse of the tail disappearing into the grass as Ronnie says, "Mamba, bloody big one too.".

Luckily, she never saw it, and 3 years went by before I told her that she had passed within a foot of the head of a large black mamba.

Not sure she believes me to this day.

Don't worry, it's winter and you won't see a single snake.
Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.