Originally Posted by LT_DAN
Shakari. he uses an ordinary cattle prod. he first explained the whole procedure to me, about 3 or 4 years ago. his practice is about 2 kilometers from my home and he is a customer of mine.

in short he said the following. he first puts the dog to sleep and then he would prod the dog on the bite mark a few times and then he would prod between the mark and halfway towards the heart of the dog and if possible on the aorta. he would repeat this a couple of times and then let the dog sleep it of.

i am sure there is more to it than what i just said but that is in short how i remember it. i will add this: i recently asked him if he still uses this method and it was then when he told me that if he was out on his farm and something like cobra(is that the english for a yellow snake?) bit him he will do some self prodding. i took that remark as a sign of his believe in the electrical method.

i know him well and i am sure that if someone needs to learn more i can ask him again about the detail.he wont mind.

he likes to discuss these kinds of things he used to be a toxicology researcher at the university of Pretoria specifically at Onderstepoort.

Hi Lt_Dan

Interesting that he did toxicology research! Unusual for a vet.

Snakes are not my field, but I wonder if some of the mixed conclusions among various reports may be for bites with cytotoxic vs hemotoxic venom... or if perhaps whether electicity works is right down at the level of the specific species' venom.

John