Originally Posted by Steve692
How about. "Pet low meat loss loads" laugh

All interesting info for me as a newbie to a 7x57. Much to consider but if most won't get all stressed about it, I've questions.

Mods, feel free to wipe out anything undesirable that I may post.

While I know everyone feels broadside ribcage shots ruin little meat but, believe me, after processing over 3000 whitetail in my life when I had my shop for such.........that's not always the case. Others feel rib meat is something less than desirable but being old school (and old) I waste nothing unless bloodshot.

My next deer will put me in the triple digits (not a brag, just making it clear I'm not in any way inexperienced) but I've only taken a FEW with a centerfire. My weapon of choice for 4 plus decades was a 54 cal black powder rifle, recurve or longbow.

Center fire rifles are not new to me either. I've had dozens and loaded for them starting at age 16. 50 years ago. However the ONLY deer I've taken with a centerfire was a .358 caliber wildcat. Only a couple years ago did my state allow standard deer rifle rounds and those past couple years I was incapable of going at all, let alone finance a rifle and loading gear once again. All of it went South when the bottom fell out from under my feet physically and financially.

But..........I'M BACK. Slow but able and I've GOT QUESTIONS on the bullets and velocities mentioned.

The old "cup and core" 358 Speer 180s were seriously "bang flop" deadly............but lord a' mercy if you hit bone! ARGGHH! I'm talking fist sized entry caverns (Hole ......just don't seem appropriate. lol) even with the bullet continuing on and being lethal.
I've always ASSUMED that the higher velocity (and normally lighter bullets, regardless of construction) create the most 'SPLAT' effect, jellies the most meat and creates the most meat loss.

With this assumption in my mind for the 7x57, I've already settled on the fact I'm going to shoot 160-175 grain bullets. Months of studying load data from every source I could find (Mule Deer's too) I've a solid grasp on what is what with the mighty and old 7mm Mauser BUT the majority of the posts concentrating on the 150(ish) and lighter bullet weights has me scratching my chin........a little.

PART of what may be different for me compared to most is even though I've ONE spot where I can set up and 'no other hunter with any brains would sit here!' is the general opinion of a few friends but I CAN get 300 yard shots. In other areas I can, and have, shot deer at 30 FEET, and not just a few (and NOT from a treestand) so........I've QUESTIONS about what kind of SPLAT I'm going to have on a whitetail with this round at any CLOSE ranges. It's not like I'm going to wait for the deer to go away a bit. I go into "full auto mode" when a shot appears. (old habits die hard.)

Talk to me about (photos????? Are they allowed?) the entry/exit holes in deer/elk/whatever.......and the ranges, bullets used and velocity on contact estimation???? Asking a lot, I know.

Some look upon "meat hunters" with disdain these days. If such offends anyone of this esteemed group please consider one simple fact:

If not for those of past generations whom started all this for the SINGLE reason of acquiring meat for loved ones and themselves....this would not be the grand sport it is today.....at least IMHO.

Oh yes! A fine older buck is much appreciated, admired and looked upon with more pride than I should, but such is not the yardstick that measures if I have a "successful season" .....or not.

The LOVE of the hunt is my first reason to do so, but believe me, I've sat in front of the wood burner contemplating the question of "Would I still hunt deer if I didn't love venison?".........After decades of asking myself this.........I still do not have a concrete reply.

Just........FWIW, and only my opinion, like bullets, all venison is not equal. After the statement above on the number of deer (and some elk) Ive butchered I've "cold hard rules" that MUST be followed or the quality of the meat will suffer.........badly. I CAN say (and am a bit proud, sorry) to say I've fed venison to extended family members "who cannot stand deer!" who ranted over the meat.......and REFUSED to accept it was the deer in the photo hanging on the wall. I've spend 3 decades on the subject and feel I have it cornered.
I'd rather eat venison I've handled from day one to table..........than the best porterhouse the grocery store can produce.

THIS is the reason I give lots of thought to not only accuracy and effectiveness but what kind of disaster is left to butcher around and why "SO FAR" I'm looking at possibly two loads for my own use as long at the point of impact isn't radically different. Slower (2400?) for "woods rounds" and my best "loaded to the gills" rounds with bullets that will open up down range for "out in the field" (which is literally where I'll be sitting , LOL)

Not intending to start any debate, but I've noticed mentioning within several "African hunting" forums the practice of "head or neck shots". for meat animals.
I simply find it curious that such is considered an approved practice in one country.........yet often (and often heatedly) chastised in yet another country.. I seriously can see both sides of that "discussion" but let's not discuss that HERE. Another thread perhaps should the subject be undecided but I'm 90 percent positive I know where most hunters stand on it.

So..........for now. Opinions on your choice of bullet's viability if .........up close and personal OR at what ranges you have found them to be both effective., but not causing undue meat loss.

For those that could care less, I will fight for your right to see it that way. I only ask that I am allowed the same respect.

I'd post a photo of my "new to me" 1981 Remington 700 Classic in 7x57" but......it looks like all the classics (and posting a photo looks difficult, LOL) Besides, most would toss their cookies if they saw what scope I have on it until I make a decision on which better one I'll buy when I can. grin

God Bless
and thank you in advance for any replies.

I suspect if you start with a pound of something in the 4350 burn rate class and a box of 160 grain Partitions you'll get to where you want to be without much fuss.