Originally Posted by sandpit
Anybody use any of the old hornady 175 gr roundnose bullets. I bought some reloading stuff from an older guy and found 2 boxes of them.

I have about 250 left of 400 that I bought. All of my 7x57s shoot them very well, and they really hammer the feral pigs I shoot them into. At the ranges I shoot, almost always inside of about 125 yards with less than 50 being the norm, I have never been able to catch one: all pass-throughs. My load is 43.5 grains of IMR-4350, Prvi case, WLR primer. I've never shot the load over a chronograph - I need to do that - but would guess that it's in the 2400+/- fps range. I know three shots is statistically meaningless, but this group is 100 yards from a M1909 Argentine Mauser with a 24 inch barrel of unknown make.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's less that 1/2 inch CTC.

Here's the old rifle. The others shoot the same bullet with similar results. The impact on game is generally pretty impressive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown