Originally Posted by logcutter
Randy Garrett was one on AR but since Jorge is using a levergun now,there in and cool.

I'm staying out of this pot-stirring thread regarding Ray but like [bleep] and opinions I have mine as well and anyone can PM me but since my name was mentioned, well I feel compelled to respond. Jayco, I've had lever guns all my life and my foray with the 1895 was up front all the way. It was and is an attempt to replicate was Teddy Roosevelt did but I still consider it's capabilities limited and far from optimum for large, dangerous African game (emphasis on large). There is no way a 405 Win, 45/70 or even the new 475 Turnbull can stay with an appropriate Express or Magnum caliber as defined by at least an SD or 300 or above and MV > 2000-2100 fps and at least 300gr(and remember this is my opinion, based on my limited experience and gleaning from others with considerable experience with large, dangerous game). I know all abolut Randy Garrett and his solids that shot clean through elephants, buffalo and even the kitchen sink. I've also know a few gents who've taken elephant with a bow, what more proof do we need that all of the above work? Where I take exception is when someone tries to sell me on the idea that a Marlin lever gun in 45/70 is every bit the DG gun is as a 458WM to name just one. That is delusional. When I finally do get around to whacking a buffalo with a 405, of one thing you can be certain, next to me will be two people, the PH with his backup rifle and a tracker holding either my double 450NE or my 416 Rigby. Levers are way cool and an 1895 TR is "uber cool" but it is nothing more than a calculated whim on my part. Now for the cats we might be closer to agreement, but in my opinion (and there is that word again) a Marlin in 45/70 is about as cool as a minivan...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”