Thanks for all the links and thoughts.

A couple of observations on my end. I increased the percentage of both fat and protein in my diet. I also bumped up the carbs a bit - I eat 100-150 grams per day. I quit eating simple carbs and starches a long time ago - white bread/pasta, sugar drinks, candy, sweets, etc. I still can't resist my wife's apple pie with vanilla ice cream............

I think the combination of increasing the ratio of fat/protein, a few extra carbs, and allowing recovery between workouts is working better at keeping strength and endurance. When I was in my 20's and 30's, I used to work out 5-6 days a week. At 51, can't do it - I need more recovery time.

In a couple of weeks, I'll switch to 2 longish hikes with more weight over the jogs. I have a trail close to my house that I call my workout hike. It is shade over 3 miles and climbs 1700 feet, mostly over the last 1.5 miles. My goal is always to do it without stopping - I'm only successful about 50% of the time. It is tough with a pack on. This hike simulates most of my elk hunts. I usually hunt 2-3 miles off the road and end up climbing 10-1500 vertical feet. When hunting I plan on at least 2 hours to do a hike like that. Training I do my training hike in less than 1.5 hrs.

I leave for elk camp in 8 weeks. Can't wait............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.