fuzzy - I tend to agree with you on crossfit. Several local gyms have it around my town. The routine is 5 days per week for 30-60 minutes. I tried one that did heavy squats for 5 straight days, followed by a 440 run. I don't care how old you are, the body was not made for that kind of abuse.

I feel the same way about Mark Rippetoe's 5x5 workout. I did the Rippetoe workout for about 6-8 months religiosuly. A. it works for building strength, B. it is not sustainable past the age of 35 or so. I have a bump on my kneecap where the patellar tendon attaches. It is scar tissue and appeared during my Rippetoe workouts. I think a cycle or two of Rippetoe is a good idea but as a long term adventure, not so much. I've always been prone to over-use injuries and after working out for 30 years, have figured out what works, what doesn't, and what is painful.

Someone on here mentioned a cycle that is basically what I've been doing for the past 2-3 years - concentrate on strength training early in the year with some cardio, move into equal balance of strength and cardio in spring summer, then into weighted pack hikes with strength training in late summer/fall. I think this type of training for me is optimum because it keeps me from over-use nagging injuries, provides some variety, and is a good blend of strength and cardio. I think Rippetoe and crossfit fit into that equation, I just don't see either as a year around event.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.