Smokepole, my doctor also says my health is as much the result of good genes as anything else. OK ? But he is very happy with the way I eat. I has told me that he can't do anything for bad eating habits but write a prescription or, in some cases, perform an operation. But good eating habits avoid such problems.
I'd also point out that the Berkeley UC Wellness Letter cites literally hundreds of studies, all of which can be found and read by those interested in them. That's what they base their recommendations on. Sometimes they take the position that there isn't anything conclusive upon to make a decision based on the available studies.
I am not vegetarian. I eat meat everyday. But not nearly as much as I used to eat.
The Federal Food Guidelines doesn't just recommend more whole grains. It also recommends a much wider variety of fruits and vegetables, along with less meat/protein and fat. It recommends no sugar and reduced salt consumption.
Last of all, since being published, the grain producers and processors have not made much, if any, additional money due to the FFDG's. That's because we insist on eating what we always have and liked, not what is good for us.
In other words, the Federal Food Guidelines have been ignored by most of the public. Only those who follow the lessions of the Diet Registry or people like me follow them.
You might try looking up the Diet Registry. They are folks who found out that every time they dieted and lost the weight they didn't want, they always gained it back. Until they finally started eating, you guessed it, using the Federal Food Guidelines. E