UPDATE:

I went to the local gun show this weekend. I got to handle a Glock 42. I'm no Glockaholic, but I liked it. A lot, actually. It's sleek (under 6" long and only .94" thick) and yet still feels like a real gun. It's got regular Glock sights and the trigger feels like any other Glock (be that a good thing or a bad thing for you).

For the Glock crowd especially, I think it's a nice choice. One of the things I wonder about when I talk carry guns with folks are the people who switch their EDC gun almost daily. Each gun has different features/controls. For many it's probably no big deal--they know all of their guns well, but for others (who shoot their guns once or twice a year) I wonder how well they will do in a stressful situation and they need to recall if their gun-of-the-day has a manual safety and where it's located. With the Glock 42, it feels like a shrunk down G19. There's nothing new to learn or remember.

I might get to shoot the G42 later this week. If so, I'll let you know my two cents on it. (I have no plans to buy it, but I'd still like to bang away with it just for giggles). My lingering criticism (of a gun I've never shot smile ) is why didn't they just chamber it for 9x19? A single stack 9mm would have been cool! They could have copied their own G26 design and just slimmed it down. It probably comes back to marketing: "Oh yeah, the .380 is so much more gentle in the recoil department!" Gun stores will sell them to ladies all day long.

Has anybody had the chance to own/shoot a G42? How do you like it?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.