Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Nobody wants to be arrested, especially when you have done no wrong. The punk wouldn't give the old guy a chance to speak up for himself but if he had, the whole situation could have ended up on a much happier note and jerk cop would still have a job.

Can't say ANYBODY wants to be arrested, guilty or not. Here's the issue these days, and I suspect I'll be labled a cop apologist, or someone will claim I'm for a "police state", which is a VERY loosely used term these days by cop haters...but anyway...yes, cops make mistakes. They're human, and no amount of training will change that. Some are azzhole, and no amount of training will change that...well you can reduce it, but an azzhole is an azzhole...they work at McDonalds, Walmart, IBM, the State and Federal Gov't and are all up and down the socio-economic ladder and spectrum of race, religions, professions/vocations, etc. Cops are no exception, nor are there an overabundance of azzhole cops. Here' the thing: until we vastly revamp our whole society, to more closely resemble anarchy...we pay cops to do a job. We always have, and we are not unique among societies. I know of no society, or police force that lets the arrestee/suspect decide when it's convenient to be arrested when a cops comes to do his duty. If that's what you want for our society, then by all means, write your congressman. Until then, right or wrong, guilty or not, when the cops shows up to put the cuffs on you, you ARE going to jail, and the only way that changes in the immediate time is if you assault him or kill him, in which case you've probably made your situation a whole lot worse, unless you were wanted for capital murder to begin with...still probably made things worse. You simply don't get to debate with the cop and win. Now I know that some people get all bent the hell outta shape when they are used to being in charge and the police shows up and they are no longer in charge. It hurts their dignity, pride, feelings, and they get angry and sometimes people can't control their anger, and they say and do things they might not otherwise do. Well, we all have to answer for our actions. Hurt a cop, pay a bigger price. If you believe you're innocent, you don't get to talk the cop out of arresting you, and get the right to get pizzed off when he won't "hear you out". Some are nice and patient enough to hear you out THEN arrest you, and some cops need to realize things can go a lot smoother if you just let someone talk a bit and "be heard" but they still are going to take you to jail if that's why they showed up, and they don't have to let you be heard, it's not part of the job when they come to arrest you or give you another lawful order. IF they showed up just to ask questions...your best bet is like Pat said: "you have the right to remain silent" and it's ALWAYS great advice. It may not help you to remain silent, but can, and it can NEVER hurt you. Oh, and "remaining silent" means just that...it does not mean "f**k you cop, I ain't talking, go f**k yourself"...it means silence.

When people start realizing they're not entitled to be heard on the side of the road, or on the street corner when the cops are there...they'll be better off complying with lawful orders of the police until they get police abolished or basic police powers vastly overhauled/weakened in this nation to allow people to not only be heard, but decide their own innocence and force the cops to comply with the findings of the suspect's own internal investigation and finding of "innocent". Be careful what you wish for...

Merry Christmas.

War Damn Eagle!