Originally Posted by gitem_12

I had most of those courses in college and again in the academy. And I guarantee you the time spent on each subject in the academy was in far greater depth than what we delved into them in College.

The simple fact is. A four year degree is useless to become a cop.

I'm all for education and have taken hundreds of hours of additional courses ranging from arson and narcotics to firearms and use of forces training.

By and far the most important things i've learned about doing this job initially came from my OJT period as a rookie.

You mention interpersonal skills. No class can teach that, you either have em or you don't.

You say that "the money is there". Well once again, you're wrong. Or agency is currently dealing with this very issue. The outlying municpalities that we provide police coverage for want more coverage, they DO NOT, however want to pay more tax money to get that coverage.

Weapons, authority, immunity, and practically every officer in the nation similarly equipped and backing you no matter what you do are a more than adequate substitute for personal skills.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn