Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Harry M
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Harry. How many hours of job specific training should someone have to be a cop?

How many hours of class and practical time of job specific instruction is in a 4 year degree?

Well, a BA is 4 years taking summers off. The course should include mental health and psychology courses as it seems more and more police are getting involved in crimes were the defendants are ill.

Managerial skills and inter personal skills as well as I believe it's time for police to be considered white collar professionals and not blue collars beat cops.

No Union

And the money is there. This country wastes billions on stupid stuff and this can be properly funded.

I hope I am not out of line in saying there has been a drastic change in how police are viewed in communities and not just minority ones. I don't think this can be denied.

I am not saying this fixes everything. I am saying there is a problem and it should be addressed.

I know that police unions say there is no problem.

I know the majority of the public says there is a problem.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

I see things getting worse, and not just in minority areas.

I will honestly say to you I think it's a shame as the police are very important to every community.

Some will never like the police, I get that.

But I see an organization that needs a do over and some spiffing up and believe well educated and well trained employees are the way to go.

ABTW, I should have mentioned earlier that the 4 year degree should also include what's learned in police academy so that the degree allows one to enter law enforcement upon their graduation.

Answer my question. The question was not what do you think the courses should be. But how many years it takes for a BA degree

Did I not say 4 years?

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson