The 357 loaded properly is just fine. A 10mm loaded properly will do the same thing in a smaller, lighter package with nearly 3X more ammo. A 40 loaded hot will come close.

I hike in the same areas. Bear there are very common as are people. The bear have absolutely no fear of humans due to so much close contact. Usually not a problem, I've had several pass within 15-50 yards and they ignored me.

But incidents there are becoming more and more common. You'll get lots of false advice about just leaving them alone and not having food close by and you'll be just fine. I don't have any control over what the hikers did 5 minutes or even 5 days before me did. If they taught that bear that humans will give them food then it will expect a handout from me.

I have little doubt that a 180-200 gr hardcast bullet fired at 1100-1300 fps will do about as good as anything. You can do that with 40, 10mm or 357 mag.

I've carried a G20 loaded with DoubleTap 200 gr at 1300 fps for a while. I wanted something more compact and tried a G23 for a while, but just didn't feel as comfortable with it. I bought a G29 about a year ago and it seems to be about the most power available for the size.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.