Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
ou ought to see how ineffective pepper spray or the much more powerful MACE products are on bad guys. Any bear is far stronger and tougher than any human.

Well, you can't compare apples to oranges nor can you compare bears to people without some qualifiers.

Pepper spray has a pretty good record on both bears and people the first time or two they get sprayed. But a mean man who's been sprayed before can learn to fight through it, especially if he's numbed up on booze and/or drugs. I have some direct experience in that line of research.

An OC-naïve bear will usually respond as desired the first time you spray him, if you hit him right, and that should be the end of it... but if he comes back again you're unlikely to stop him with spray.

You took the words right out of my mouth. A mean human and a mean animal are a whole different can of worms. A human has far worse olfactory senses, and can think logically through what is happening. An animal is totally different. Most of the time OC has been wildly ineffective on people for me, personally. Angry animals on the other hand, like a sprinting pitbul or GSD, it works like a charm 99% of the time (there is always that 1%er). I have no experience with bears. I'm just adding to what DocRocket said, animals and people are two different...animals.

Oheremicus, I'm also not sure what you mean about, "the much more powerful MACE products". I'd take OC any day of the week over a CN/ CS tear gas like MACE for use against an animal. There is a reason you don't see CN/CS being offered as bear spray. It works on the nervous system as opposed to OC, which works on the mucus membranes. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust a skin irritant against an animal wearing a tough hide or a thick fur coat.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 07/01/16.