Having the same responsibility to my clients in Africa I concur with Phil that the bigger cartridges recoil plays a roll in this choice.

I had a custom made 458Lott, Loved everything about the rifle, and I could shoot it very well. However during PH testing with the requirements of the 10 second three shot test, I'm not sure how many folks could pass that test with a bigger cartridge then the 375HH. I witnessed plenty of guys fail it with the 300 mag!

It took me three tries with the 375HH although the first two attempts were "on the line" and did not count. The shots all had to have the holes completely within the 4" target box. They cannot break the line.

With the Lott, I tried dozens of times and could pass it only once, arguably the bigger problem is the size of the holes which often touch the line! Nevertheless, I shoot bigger then average cartridges a lot, and I cannot shoot anything bigger then the 375HH with the same speed and skills.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)