Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Brad,

We don't have grizzlies in Colorado (I think)In the summer I sometimes carry a titanium 4" .357 with 7 180gr Buffalo bear buster bullets. In 40 years of hunting/camping I only have had one bear experience. I was scouting for MD in late August camped in my little Hilleberge UNA. Warm night left the front open. My attack beagle was asleep at my feet. I awoke to a pretty good sized black bear snuffing my face. yikes! I made some short of sound, bear bolted. dog woke up ran over my face. .357 was useless as it was outside my bag. I thought about bringing it in the bag but didn't want to have a dream and end up blowing my nuts off....long night.
I have carried bear spray in areas were there were grizzlies. My daughter was a wrangler in Yellowstone and the Tetons for 3 or 4 years and she always carried spray but never had to use it.

LC

Betcha you do have griz in Colorado. You just don't know it. All bears are elusive, generally. At least the good ones are. I have between 4 and 10 brown bears in my immediate area of my home here in Sterling. And it's fishin time, right now. Saw a brownie track in the driveway this morning.

Haven't actually seen a bear in years. Here. Good neighbors!

There were "no grizzlies in Northern Idaho" when I was USFS summer trail crew there in 1967 and 68. Ha! And she had cubs, so there was a male around!

In period 78-80 I was in gunsmithing school in Lakewood. A bow-hunter had to hand-kill with his arrow a griz that was on him. - said griz of course did not exist at that time in Colorado. Officially.

Hard to argue with a hand-stabbed carcass, tho.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.