I guess your idea of low and ready is the best definition. Definitely not shouldered and ready to squeeze the first one off!

They also mix up the targets right to left which is seemingly a non-issue. However after a day of shooting at them and then getting to the "main event" you throw the gun up and there is no target, it's on the opposite side. No big deal? The difference between 9.7 seconds and 10.1 seconds happens frequently enough!

For those in doubt set up 3, 4" square targets at 30, 20 and 10 meters. Then have somebody time you with a stop watch and see if you can nail them freehand with a rifle 30 caliber or bigger...... say .308 or 30/06 class or bigger.

The hole must be completely inside the black square, if it breaks the line it does not count. So I guess it's more accurately a 3.6" square "hit" area depending upon the bullet diameter.

This is not the only firearm qualification requirement, there is an extensive written exam on firearm knowledge as well. However this is the one that breaks most guys down and has taken it's fair share of failures and drop outs.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)