I would not say that the 9mm is more effective than my 44 or 357 -- BUT I do know that HITS with any gun beat misses , no matter how powerful the gun and you have a greater chance of making those hits if you can fire 2 or 3 shots in the same time that it takes to make one with a gun with a lot more recoil.

I have killed, and seen killed, an awful lot of bears that had received solid hits with powerful rifles and were able to get up and continue on for quite some time so am doubtful that any handgun is capable of putting a bear down permanatly without a CNS hit. And that can be done with a 30 Tokarev, 9mm or 357.
I do know that every time I hit the bear it reacted violently by biting at the wound and after enough hits it finally gave up and ran 20 yards and died .

Everyone needs to remember however that I am referring only to handguns for protection from close range, aggressive bear encounters --- not hunting -- It is sort of like comparing CQB battle carbine with long range, more powerful battle or sniper rifles. For hunting I would consider my 44 S&W Mtn Gun a minimum and would much prefer something like my son's Hamilton Bowen 475 Linebaugh.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.