Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by bellydeep
So Phil, are you a big believer in quantity now? Would you rather have an auto over a revolver, assuming good bullets were used?

That is kind of my takeaway from the story. I'm thinking my G21 with 13 rounds of 255gr BB hard casts is a pretty decent choice.

Not Phil or even close, but I have a comment about that.

If you're going for quantity, consider not just how many rounds the gun holds, but how fast you can deliver them. A 30 round magazine in a semi-auto is useless if the gun is as slow to shoot as a big bore revolver.

I think your G21 is a step in the right direction, but I encourage you do experiment with follow up shot speed of different loads. I also carry a G21 sometimes, and found the heavy 255gr loads really slowed down my follow up shot speed. Some compromise is needed between power and speed, and what works best for me may not be best for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

THAT is the conundrum ! Self defense is not the same a hunting. Just as CQB differs from sniping .
If bear hunting with a handgun I would chose my son's 475 Linebaugh but to carry on my hip every day for 12 hours I want something lighter and smaller. it is usually my S&W 629 44 Mtn Gun or S&W M-65 357. In this last case I was not expecting any trouble but didn't want to go totally unarmed so was carrying a 9mm loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo that I had previously tested and knew would penetrate deep enough if necessary.

I am not recommending a 9mm - but if that is all you have and can shoot it then make sure to stoke it with dependable ammo.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.