Phil, really glad you were able to work all the wrinkles out in your most recent endeavor. There really isn't anything like experience in tough spots.

I don't view spray, pistols, or long guns as mutually exclusive. Each has a use. My experience using spray is that It gets on you every time you use it. I can deal with that, although I don't like it. Spray has been very effective for me on grizzly bears, black bears, moose, and dogs. I like it. I don't view it as spray vs guns. Here in the lower 48 States I really don't think effectiveness boils down to young or old bear, habituated or not. The failures I am familiar with regarding spray mostly involve environmental conditions. Although how you define a failure is important to me. Each tool has a use. Certain tools are useless in certain situations. I don't ever go looking for a fight with a bear simply armed with a pistol.

I feel D Smith's evaluation of spray vs guns is unfair in the situations it compares. Wounded bears vs a bear some jogger runs into for example. Not really apples to apples. But i do like spray, for me it's easy to use, light, and cheap. But it doesn't fit every situation. While it has always worked in the situations I chose to use it, there are certain situations I would not even attempt using it.

I've killed a few grizzlies at spitting distance. I know they aren't monster brown bears but bear with me... Some went well, others did not. The outcome in these situations hinged entirely on the initial shots. In my experience the first or second shot were all that mattered. Maybe with a smaller more controlable round it would have been different??

I really like a good horse and good dog in bear country. They are way more aware and effective than I. But your brain isn't a bad tool to use in bear country either.