Not much to add but any pistol is not a bear stopper. I have only shot one black bear with a 45 colt with a Corbon load.

I have pulled a pistol several times on grizzlies and am so glad I did not need to do the deed. This was when I was a fly fishing guide on the Unalakleet. Bears there were hunted and harassed by the locals so less of a problem then elsewhere.

Whenever clients were on their own and I loaned them a pistol I always instructed them to wait until they could insert the muzzle into the right nostril of the bear and this would provide the proper angle. If this didn't work I suggested saving the last round for yourself, all this to get their attention and avoid a serious situation. Just glad no one had to do this.

Forgot to add my other piece of advice. If you don't have claw marks on you I will gladly provide some with my fillet knife.

OK listen to Phil.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/05/16.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli